Colón and Its Tourist Destiny
Dealing with the history of towns and cities in Entre Ríos undoubtedly involves the figure of General Justo José de Urquiza, questioned by many scholars and born in October 18, 1801 at Talar del Arroyo Largo (today called Urquiza), to the North of Concepción del Uruguay.
In November 21, 1851, the alliance between Entre Ríos, Corrientes, Brazil and Uruguay was protocoled and the Great Army Campaign began, which ended in the battle of Monte Caseros in February 3, 1852, the most famous of Urquiza's many military triumphs.
This victory paved the way of the leader, as he had defeated Rosas. He did not resent him. He did not confiscate his properties and, when he learnt that his economic situation during his exile was quite hard, he sent him some money, with greatness, just like a leader.
From that moment, Urquiza devoted himself to the task of managing national organization and in May 31, 1852, most provincial governors signed the San Nicolás Agreement, by means of which Urquiza was appointed Provisional Director of the Argentinian Confederation and summoned a Constitutional Convention that would gather at Santa Fe in August.
The representatives of the Argentinian provinces met at the Santa Fe Convention and wrote the 1853 Federal Constitution. It was accepted by most of the provinces and, in 1854, Urquiza's six-year administration began, as the first constitutional president of the Republic of Argentina, with its capital in Paraná, Entre Ríos.
Shortly afterwards, the Province of Buenos Aires withdrew from the Confederation, before the suspicion that Urquiza may turn into another Rosas and because most porteños considered that reorganization had to be done under the direction of Buenos Aires, and due to the the constant wish of maintaining customs duties benefits for their own province.
After his administration, in 1860, Urquiza was a general of the army and continued as governor of Entre Ríos. In 1861, the war cut off relationships between Buenos Aires and the provinces once more. The conflict finished in the Battle of Pavón. Since 1865 until 1868, Urquiza was the commander of the Argentinian army in the war against Paraguay.
The city of was founded by Urquiza himself, in April 12, 1863. Colón's tourist destiny was marked since that day, when its founder proclaimed that he placed the village “on the finest grounds of the beautiful riversides of the Uruguay”.
An international bridge joins it to the city of Paysandú (Uruguay).
Due to its condition of natural port, it has fostered the trade of regional products through the river, mainly from Colonia de San José, urban core formed years before by Urquiza with Swiss-French immigrants.
Today, the city preserves the quietness of a small town, ideal for tourists to enjoy a good rest.
With soft undulations of the ground and shady streets, the city is a beautiful natural balcony on the banks of the majestic Uruguay River.