Dedicated to the life and work of the founder of Villa Gesell, the essence of its creation, the history of its inhabitants and the inventive spirit of a man called Carlos Idaho Gesell is revealed inside its walls.
Established in what once was the first family residence of Carlos Gesell, this house tranformed into a museum was built in December 1931, on the top a 9-meter dune, when the whole territory occupied by the Village
was nothing but a dune desert without trees.
The building has four doors, each oriented towards a different cardinal point. This allowed a constant free access, even when the sand accumulated by the wind obstructed one or more entrances.
The museum lodges photographs, documents and objects related with the life of Carlos Gesell and his family.
The first room is dedicated to Silvio Gesell –father of the village founder– in recognition of the economic theories he developed, and of the significant influence he had on his son, who inherited a remarkable inventive spirit.
Another room is dedicated to the first women in Villa Gesell and the first lifeguard in the area, Julio Lafuente, who rode along the beach on horseback for years.
In another area of the house, a chronology of Carlos Gesell's life as from his childhood may be observed. Lastly, in the Reforestation Room explanations about the technique used by the founder to settle the first dunes in the area are exhibited on boards.
When leaving the facilities, it is advisable to visit the Forest Reserve in order to appreciate Gesell's work, as well as to go along the 70 m separating the museum from Don Carlos's Chalet, the second house inhabitted by the founder and his family from 1952 to his death, on June 6, 1979.