Without any exaggerated allusions to the Peronist movement, the Evita Museum simply exhibits the life and message of a remarkable woman in Argentinian history, who the poet María Elena Walsh qualified as “fanatic, loyal, unbridled… the only one who had the satisfaction of crowning herself for the sunken”.
The museum was inaugurated in July 26, 2002, on the fiftieth anniversary of Eva’s death and it is located in a petit hotel built during the first decade of the XX century. In 1948, the large house on Lafinur Street was purchased by the social assistance foundation called Fundación de Ayuda Social Eva Perón to house the 2nd Transition Home, a site that would lodge women from the provinces during their pass through Buenos Aires
Across thirteen permanent exhibition rooms and one temporary display room, the museum reviews the history of Eva Duarte from her childhood, going through her youth as an actress, and then her life as the First Lady, next to Juan Perón, her struggle for female civil rights, the social work she developed in the foundation until her resignation and death. History is Experienced in Each Room
With a correct sign system, subtitled videos both in Spanish and in English and pleasant ambient music, the museum displays photos, journalistic articles, objects from the age and elements that would belong to Eva. Among the latter, the favorite are the former First Lady’s dresses, especially the one created by the designer Paco Jamandreu.
In the display cabinets in the various rooms, visitors may observe, apart from the costumes and working tailleurs worn by Evita, shoes, hats, a funeral mask made by artist Juan Carlos Pallarols, the first Argentinian female DNI (identity card) -which belonged to Eva-, decorations, daily use elements with Perón and Evita’s faces, translations of the book La razón de mi vida (The Reason for my Life) into various languages, among other significant items.
The walls of the rooms reproduce Evita’s quotations, photographs of the original rooms of the institute, and even the kitchen of the site may be seen, as a result of a neat set.
Lovers of architecture will enjoy the beautiful Andalusian patio from the year 1923 used in the times of the home as a site for recreation and leisure; while those interested in history may see extracts from Leonardo Favio’s movie Perón, sinfonía del sentimiento (Perón, A Symphony of Feeling), at the auditorium seating 80 people.
The Eva Perón National Institute of Historical Research operates inside the museum, where the library and the newspaper library may be consulted. A café-restó, which also has an independent entrance on Juan María Gutiérrez Street, and a souvenir store complement the facilities.
Opening hours: Tuesdays thru Sundays and holidays from 2pm to 7.30pm.
Bear in mind: Guided visits are held from Tuesdays thru Sundays from 2pm to 7.30pm. Languages: Spanish, English, Portuguese and French. Likewise, guided visits for groups (institutions, schools), tourists and the disabled, including blind people, may be arranged beforehand. The museum has an elevator for the use of the disabled. The institution may be contacted to find out about extracurricular activities developed in the auditorium.