Chajarí is a city framed by vast orange groves, located 12 km from the Salto Grande Dam. The region was dwelled by native peoples belonging to Charrúa tribes and also by the Guaraníes, who had arrived in the area from the North.
The Jesuits performed evangelization tasks with local Indian communities until they were expelled.
Law 1875, passed in May 28, 1872, provided for the creation of Villa Libertad, precursor of the village of Chajarí, fostering colonization and the settlement of immigrant families.
Immigration arrived mainly from Italy and had been promoted by the national government since 1876, with the offer of lots for exploitation.
This immigration movement was fostered by Leonidas Echague, governor of Entre Ríos Thus, the population of the area was carried out by families coming from Venice, Lombardy, Trento, Upper Adige and Friuli. An administrative clerk, Mr. Pablo Stampa fulfilled a brilliant task in the settlement of the colonists in those days, as evidenced by the multiple notes kept at the local archives. In the late XIX century, English and French capital financed the building of the railway system, which crossed our unspoilt territories with its iron laces. Through the “civilizing rail”, the products derived from our agricultural and livestock economy flowed towards the large ports (Rosario, Buenos Aires,...) in order to be exported.
In 1889, the First Municipal Government was settled. In 1934, the village name was changed from Libertad to Chajarí, the name of the railway station.
In 1942, it was declared first category municipality.
Characters such as José Campodónico, the first Municipal President; Camila Quiroga (Camila Passera, being her real name), glory of the national theater; Paolo Stampa, employee of the Immigration General Office, which brought the colonists, were some of its representative figures.