Today, La Paz is a city that rises on the left bank of the Paraná River at the 800th kilometer marker from the Buenos Aires harbor and approximately 156 kilometers away from the City of Paraná, capital of Entre Ríos. In 1829, the then governor of the Province of Entre Ríos resolved that a town should be founded there.
The maps from the XVIIIth century contain the name “Cabayú Cuatiá” in reference to a creek used as a quay and nestled in a natural port suitable to load the products of the land and the islands. Records show that La Paz was founded in July 13, 1835, when it was called Our Lady of Peace (La Paz), but in fact, the base of town would be the hamlet previously raised on the banks of this ancient creek, the inspiration for several local singers and chamamé melodies.
There existed a crossroad and a high cliff that enabled the settlers to be safe from the floods and watch the area from the heights. The old road to Corrientes, which reached Asunción -the capital of Paraguay- crossed the area.
The lack of land communication means and the fact that the carts took too long to reach this place turned river traffic into the only communication means available to transport goods and people fast and safely. This caused the first settlers to turn the river into their main sustenance. Almost all the harbors on the Paraná River have had this spontaneous origin.
Its wide and clear beaches used to grant enough visibility for sailors to land without any unforseen risks of an Indian attack.
After several ups and downs and after the harbor was closed and reopened in several opportunities, port movement gained much importance. In June 22, 1854, it was classified into third class and authorized to export fruit and regional products such as coal and leather. The Pavón Battle, under the Mitre administration, gave it the hierarchy of second category port and its first staff.
La Paz used to be extremely rich as regards agriculture, livestock and forest, as well as carboniferous, resources which would fill the cellars of the boats sailing from Asunción to Buenos Aires or vice versa.
But it was not until the arrival of the railway that things began to change. The roads and land transportation plotted against the river transportation, which caused the La Paz harbor to disappear as far as commerce was concerned. This also happened to most river ports in Argentina.
However, the Cabayú Cuatiá Creek remains there, in the same place. Today, sport watercrafts or old barges from the islands rest there in peace, just like it used to happen and as it will always happen in this old but faithful nook of the Paraná River.