Diamante, Facing the Paraná River.
The City of Diamante is located on the stately cliff featured by the Paraná River. The Paraná Delta starts at this district, where the hills end and the cliff has been eroded until it almost disappeared.
Its historical background after the emancipation from Spain dates back to 1812, when three batteries were stationed by command of the Triumvirate in the area known as "Punta Gorda" (a portion of land spanning from the mouth of Ensenada Creek to Azotea Creek), with the aim of avoiding the passage of a realist squad that was supposed to go up the Paraná River and ravage its shores. The Battle of San Lorenzo prevented them from taking action. Therefore, they were deactivated.
From that moment onwards, Punta Gorda was considered a strategic point and natural port for military operations, thus motivating the government to exert more and more control over it, especially as far as the arrival or departure of different products and animals by ship were concerned.
On January 20, 1830, Juan Francisco Muños was appointed Judge Commissioner at Punta Gorda. His mission was to go around his jurisdiction at least once a week and maintain order.
On February 12, 1836, Governor Pascual Echagüe sent a project law to the Chamber of Representatives requesting the foundation of the town. On February 29, the law was passed and the town of Diamante was created in Punta Gorda.
The reasons for the selection of the name for this new district are not clear and no official explanation has been provided so far. The appointment of General Urquiza as provincial authority and the end of certain campaigns made it possible to promote the first institutions at Diamante as from 1848. He organized the Military Headquarters, appointing Luis Hernández as head, opened the port and named Maratín José Ruiz Moreno as its first Captain and created the Tax Collection Office appointing Manuel Agulla as head.
By law, the municipality should be made up by seven principal members and seven alternates. These should be renewed every two years in halves. Thus, after the elections in 1873, the Town Hall was integrated by: Vicente Rodríguez, Juan Falcón, Pedro Caviglia, Nereo Melo, Demetrio García, Félix Mendoza and Pedro Etchevehere. Alternate members: Juan Fourquet, Federico Vera, Juan Ferrari, José Malespina, Daniel Arca, Ramón Etchevehere and Tomás Villarreal.
The construction of the church under the protection of Saint Cyprian as Patron of Diamante was the result of a lack of information that was unveiled several years later, when the foundation documents that named Saint Francis Xavier as the foundational patron were found.
The Port of Diamante lies 320 kilometers away from the Port of Buenos Aires. The main products exchanged between them are citrus, eucalyptus logs, timber, soy beans, flour, sugar, rice, whole-grain rice, fuel and minerals.