Present Comandante Luis Piedrabuena is located right in front of Pavón Island, which was discovered by Juan Serrano (a member of Magellan's expedition) in 1520. The city was named after Captain Luis Piedrabuena, who resolved to settle down on such island back in 1859. Years later -in 1868-, he took his wife Julia Dufour to live there with him after their wedding. She was the first white woman to live in Patagonia.
Little by little, the island began to be populated by families and later on, Piedrabuena established the first trading post, which bartered with the natives. Then, he himself decided that the island should be called Pavón as a tribute to Mitre's victory in 1861. In 1868, he was granted both these lands and the nearby islands and salt fields.
Gregorio Ibáñez, Piedrabuena's pilot, settled down on the northern margin. That is why that area was once known as Ibáñez Pass. The population acquired its present name in 1933, after the Neighborhood Development Committee was constituted in 1920.