These two cities, which together give form to a unique conglomerate, are tightly linked, not only through their geographical features but also through their history. They both had the same origin and related events, which gradually shaped their present physiognomy.
It all began in 1876, with the Desert Campaign. Back then, Mr Funes and his wife settled down in the area where Plaza Huincul is located today and created a post where travelers used to rest. These travelers had crossed the mountain range in order to reach the valley, where the railway was situated.
It was not until 1918, on September 13 to be more precise, that the town was created by the company called YPF for its workers, who were participating in the drilling of the first well owned by Yacimientos Petrolíferos Fiscales at the 1,294th kilometer marker. In 1921, not only was the Civil Registry created on June 8, but the railway station was also inaugurated on November 20.
Finally, on February 1, 1967, the Municipality of Plaza Huincul was created, as it had not been until April 24, 1966 that the company YPF had officially granted that area to the provincial state. This initial feature, of being a territory owned by the State through one of its companies, caused the communities that developed around Plaza Huincul to get away from it during their origins.
Cutral-có is also a district of strong oil activities. The workers and their families gave shape to the settlements at Cutral-Có. The only place that provided natural drinkable water in the area was Laguna Colorada, lying at 11 kilometers from where Plaza Huincul stands today and 13 away from Cutral-có.
The first denizens of Cutral-có came hand in hand with commerce and oil activities. Starting with José Montecino, who set up his butcher in 1929, to Gutiérrez and Muñoz, who inaugurated the first bakery, or Miguel Majluf, owner of the grocery store called El libanés, were all great precursors of the population and its growth.
In 1935, the Neighbors Development Committee of Pueblo Nuevo was founded in search of a better organization of Cutral-có. This committee was formed by equal parts of workers and traders. Months later, it was replaced by a new committee chaired by Elía Sapag. Later on, in 1951, elections were held at Cutral-có for the first time and this resulted in the first Municipal Council. Thus, Cutral-có began to acquire the traits and organization of an autonomous town.