History of Comodoro Rivadavia

Comodoro Rivadavia, well-known for being the Argentinian oil capital, was founded out of the need to shorten the routes used to transport goods from Colonia Sarmiento. A port was created in the area of Gulf San Jorge and this led to the foundation of Comodoro.

A national decree passed on February 23, 1901 named this settlement Comodoro Rivadavia after a sailor who was statesman Bernardino Rivadavia's grandson. In 1907, almost by accident, oil began to be exploited and this activity kept Comodoro Rivadavia in constant and rapid growth till this date.

The first housing units in the area, dwelled by countless workmen who lived in Comodoro Rivadavia back in 1919, were very precarious and small. Made of tin, they did not have heating or electricity. In 1922, YPF was created and the oil industry developed to higher levels, until the national government agreed to boost this activity again in the late 1950s by lodging foreign companies in the region.

Today, Comodoro Rivadavia has approximately 130,000 denizens. The center of the city is located at the foot of 212-meter-high Mount Chenque, which features a full panoramic view of the metropolis and 575-meter-high Peak Salamanca.

Its fantastic beaches, its views of the sea and the possibility to practice sports such as angling are but some of the attractions available at this destination. Winters are usually mild and offer occasional snowfalls. The wind is dry and temperate.


Estancias
Ski