This visit shows the national flag the people of Jujuy have guarded for over 200 years and preserved it untouched.
Opposite General Belgrano Julio Square, hundreds of local and foreign tourists pay a visit to one of the most emblematic sites in the province
: the Golden Hall or the Flag’s Hall.
This is a room designed according to the French Baroque style. It displays the flag donated by General Manuel Belgrano to the people of Jujuy after the victory of the Battle of Salta. It represents a clear recognition for their effort and sacrifice in the 1812 Exodus and the struggles for freedom and the War of Independence.
The National Flag of Our Civil Liberty is made of satin and it features three pieces and a coat of arms painted on one of them, approved by the General Constitution Assembly of Year 1813.
The hall was built in 1914 by Octavio Iturbe and it was inaugurated 10 years later, in 1927, during the administration of Benjamín Villafañe.
Belgrano handed in the flag on May 25, 1813, after having it blessed at the mother church by canon Juan Ignacio de Gorriti. The people of Jujuy were the first to swear their loyalty to the sacred ensign.
Before the hall was built, the flag remained in several sites of historical interest in the province: the Cabildo, the main church and the honorable Legislature. It is important to highlight that the creator of the national flag himself appointed the City of Jujuy
as “the Motherland’s flag bearer”.
Even though the flag left the Northern province in certain opportunities, due to tributes and the like, in 1920, it was determined that the national ensign could not leave the City of San Salvador de Jujuy ever again.
Likewise, at the Flag’s Hall, visitors may observe a bust of General Manuel Belgrano, located to the right of the national symbol he created.
The patriot had a coat of arms painted in order to be placed at the school created with the money the General Constitution Assembly granted him on March 8, 1813.
The oval represents the national coat of arms and it is made of wood. Around it, the words written by Prophet Isaiah read: “Come and drink the pleasant nectar and divine liqueur of wisdom hereby granted to thou”.